Thursday, 12 April 2012

No nuclear plant restarts could mean an extra 300,000 barrels of oil every day for Japan

For anyone thinking that Japan is coping just fine without nuclear energy, an article on Bloomberg today underlines just what the cost is shaping up to be. When I say cost, I’m not just talking about the huge number of dollars being sucked away on alternative sources of energy (see my March 8th blog post on that very topic). No, I also mean the environmental cost. 300,000 additional barrels of oil every single day.

Nuclear energy is clean energy. Not just my opinion – just read the various comments from governments around the world, including the US. The need to reduce omissions is just one of the drivers behind nuclear energy and it’s an important one. Japan has rightly demanded that its energy companies conducted a series of stress tests for each of their reactors since Fukushima and, as reactors  pass these tests, failure to restart them will continue to exact a heavy toll on the country.

You can read the full Bloomberg article here.