However, if you’re serious about uranium you’ll know that the Athabasca Basin in Canada, which contains the highest uranium grades on the planet, is responsible for nearly 20% of the world’s uranium supply. Having offloaded it’s US assets, Denison becomes a 100% Athabasca-based company. Why is this relevant? In one of my earliest blog posts I commented on Rio Tinto’s hostile takeover of Hathor – an aggressive move designed to give Rio a solid foothold in the Basin. It paid $654 million in order to get that foothold, beating off Cameco’s bid during the process.
Denison’s move essentially turns it into a clean and potentially inviting target for a takeover. How likely is this takeover? Well I’m not about to speculate on the plans of other companies in this blog, however, I will point out that consolidation in the Athabasca Basin is something that many industry watchers have been predicting for some time.